Friday, August 19, 2011

Pennsic 40 (2011)

Pennsic was a blast. Its has been for the past three years. What was even better this year though is that we committed to the full two weeks, making it a weird (to some people) but proper holiday. And off course I didn't take one god-damned flippin' photograph.

We took a leisurely drive out on Sunday morning, leaving a little later than planned due to an unexpected migraine. A beautiful sunny day, hardly any traffic on the road, no road-work to get caught up in and the ability to lock up the truck-bed at service stations. We'll be doing it like this from now on. Eight hours later we arrive onsite to get mobbed by our seriously awesome camp-mates that we don't see nearly enough.

Peace Week was phenomenal. We spent a seriously lazy week finishing camp set-up, food shopping, and general laying around doing NOTHING. Well almost nothing, next year we may as well have a published A&S track in camp for all the cool things we were teaching each other. I can now spin fiber and have refined my lucet technique to the point where I don't have to look at what I'm doing any more. Our Pennsic camp is seriously awesome and filled with people that we don't get to see nearly enough. We're very diverse in our interests and when we get together all sorts of strange things end up happening or being planned. Needless to say, don't enter into the camp and then proceed to sit there and tell us that you'll NEVER do something.....

Then there was "Saturday Night at the Glen" .... Words really cannot describe how entertaining this was, but serious thanks must be given to our across-the-road neighbours and the assortment of people headed down to The Bog on that Saturday night. Imagine the scene, the road lined on both side by almost 40 people in camp chairs, heckling and cheering people to promenade past us with as much style and grace as possible. Then there was the singing of "Koom-by-ahh" whenever security headed our way in a delusional attempt to keep them from knowing what we were up too! Apparently we could be heard CLEAR across Pennsic. The one thing that surprised me the most was that it was the folks with pointy hats and bling that got into the merriment the most, whereas the "fringe" folks kinda kept their heads down for the most part and scuttled on by as quickly as they could.

I did however manage to get my four scrolls finished. They all arrived at Pennsic "mostly done" with just the odd few finishing touches needed on each of them. Off course, did I remember to take photographs of the finished scrolls? NO. I'm an idiot. I do know they all went out though, one Baronial Sapphire for Lady Osa Silverhair, two Kingdom (a Silver Crescent for Leonhard Schuwert and a Troubadour for Mhari Brewbane),  and one backlog Court Baroncy for Sarra Elisabeth Graeham of Birnham. If ANYONE has or knows off photographs for these awards then I would love copies. Pretty please.

Towards the end of Peace Week I trundled myself off down to the fencing field for some pick-ups, where I discovered I was getting sick, getting my arse handed to me in the process. Turned out to be a headed cold which knocked me out for a few days with the associated sinus congestion sticking around for the rest of War. In fact I still have the remnants of it. I rested for the most part, willingly doped myself up on DayQuill, but got to the point where I needed to do "something" so headed back down to the lists to help Marshal and inspect others as they were arriving. Was a little weird being in that situation because I would rather have been fencing but I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

War Week was a mixed bag. The head cold was lingering and so I didn't have as much energy as I would have liked, my fencing activities suffered because of it. I didn't get nearly as much pick-up action as I would have liked as I was pretty much conserving myself for the War Points and in case I was needed on the Champions Team (I was an alternate). However, I did have fun in the Tortuga melee, the Ansteorian Tourney and the Cadet Tourney where I got to the "sweet sixteen" out of 72 fighters, and of course it was my practice buddy Alfonso who knocked me out.

I had planned on being in the Atlantia 5-Man Melee tourney also but for various reason sat out, which worked out well as I ended up teaching a new fencer. We had a blast discussing various things and sparring a bunch. I hope he manages to find a convenient practice as he took to it really well and would be an awesome asset to the community.

I've been writing this post for a week now. There is LOTS more and as I remember aspects I will post, but for right now this post is getting too long!

No comments:

Post a Comment