Monday, June 13, 2011

Perfect Moments

Every now and again throughout one's lifetime there are PERFECT moments. I've known a few, mostly related to diving, but there have been others. My most recent happened this past Saturday at Barony Wars, a PERFECT off-hand lunge for a one-shot kill.

My opponent had single sword and buckler, a fairly large one for a guy that was (in my opinion) on the smaller side in his stature. We had each achieved a kill on the other, we also had one double kill. We were in the process of lining up for our fourth bout when my world went very quiet, almost to the point of tunnel vision and I just somehow KNEW what I would do next. Its a very strange sensation, something deep down inside of me told me what I should do, all I needed was to listen. I remember hearing the marshal asking if we were ready, and then hearing her say "lay on".

I was like a coiled cobra, IMMEDIATELY launching into my lunge. I felt the tip of my sword connect, I heard a quick gasp, then people saying "NICE SHOT!"

It all happened in a fraction of a second. I don't even know if my blade came straight in or if I popped it upwards at the last second. All I know is that it connected exactly as I had seen in my head only moments before.

For me, it was a PERFECT, beautiful shot that I will remember for a very long time to come.

2 comments:

  1. As the person on the receiving end of this shot, I will say that, yes, it was a perfectly executed kill. Not so much as a twitch to telegraph the move, and coming from the off hand, very unexpected.

    And thank you for the "smaller side" comment - I don't think anyone has ever called me small before.

    I look forward to fighting at your side at Pennsic, and to future bouts.

    Dragos Pelikanos
    mda, Chuck Burke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! And welcome!

    I hope you know I mean the "small" comment in the most respectful way, I could barely see you behind your buckler! It was a fantastic set of bouts, and obviously very memorable so I thank you for that.

    I also look forward to us crossing paths again =)

    ReplyDelete